Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (samsung-hero2lte)
How to enter flash mode
When the device is fully powered off, hold Power, Volume Down and Home for a few seconds.
A (turquoise) download mode warning screen should appear, press Volume Up to confirm.
It is recommended to sideload an android recovery zip through TWRP for the easiest process, since heimdall freaks out about the subpartitions in SYSTEM and won't move past ~7%.
You can use
pmbootstrap flasher flash_kernel and then use netcat or similar to flash SYSTEM, but this is a longer and more redundant method.
$ pmbootstrap install --android-recovery-zip $ pmbootstrap flasher --method=adb sideload
What is tested and works
- The kernel
- USB Networking (you might have to set its MAC address beforehand though)
- Telnet in the initramfs
- Almost all display environments with software rendering (yes, even plasma mobile works, albeit slowly and with rubbish dpi scaling)
* As an aside, wayland based environments currently crash after a few minutes due to an unknown issue.
- Exynos (at least modern exynos) has a different dt.img format to Qualcomm devices, requiring a special dtbtool to go along with it. It has been packaged as exynos-dtbtool
- Camera drivers (Samsung FIMC-IS2) (and accompanying flash LED drivers, controlled by a Samsung PMIC) needed to be disabled in the kernel to prevent boot loops.
To get working
- FDE with osk-sdl - Tested and interface works, but crashes and bootloops attempting any decryption
- Proper working of charging-sdl - it comes up, but works awkwardly and doesn't go away without a hard reset
- Halium support
- Mainlining (should probably help the android community too)