Samsung Galaxy A5 2015 (samsung-a5)
Samsung Galaxy A5
|Name||Galaxy A5 (2015)|
|Chipset||Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 (MSM8916)|
|CPU||4x 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53|
|Display||5 inch 16:9, 720 x 1280 AMOLED|
|Unixbench Whet/Dhry score||912.7|
|This device is based on the Snapdragon 410.|
See the SoC page for common tips, guides and troubleshooting steps
- maccraft123 (only wiki page)
Users owning this device
- Alexeymin (Notes: SM-A500F (not FU) replaced battery, almost like new now)
- ArMor (Notes: SM-A500H Dual Sim)
- Baonks81 (Notes: 3G SM-A500H Dual Sim 2GB/16GB)
- Blender Addict (Notes: SM-A500FU, daily driver)
- Citrullin (Notes: (4x SM-A500FU available to borrow in Berlin))
- Danct12 (Notes: SM-A500H Dual Sim)
- Darkness (Notes: SM-A500M)
- Debiansh (Notes: Notes: SM-A500FU Running postmarketOS with Phosh, not working display brightness, Camera and USB-OTG. I made a polish review: https://www.internet-czas-dzialac.pl/recenzja-postmarketos/)
- Knuxfanwin8 (Notes: (SM-A500FU))
- Lewis Collard (Notes: A5U (EUR))
- Minecrell (Notes: SM-A500FU, with weird replacement screen :))
- Rich Morin (Notes: compatibility and deployment testing)
- UltrasonicMadness (Notes: SM-A500FU, daily driver)
Some variants are released with Kitkat 4.4, which doesn't boot arm64 kernel, so upgrade to Lollipop 5.0 or later first.
There are several ways to install postmarketOS on Samsung Galaxy A5 2015. All of them require you to flash lk2nd.
First, install lk2nd:
lk2nd is a secondary bootloader that provides a standard fastboot interface, which can be used to boot postmarketOS without android
boot flashed or
pmbootstrap flasher flash_kernel.
- Download lk2nd-msm8916.img from Releases page on Github.
- Boot your phone to bootloader (Odin/Download) mode by holding Volume Down and Home while powering up.
- Follow lk2nd instructions to install lk2nd. Basically flash it to boot partition (
heimdall flash --BOOT lk2nd-msm8916.img)
- Follow Qualcomm_Snapdragon_410/412_(MSM8916)#Installation to install postmarketOS.
|Note: Enter lk2nd fastboot mode by pressing only Volume Down + Power (without Home). Pressing Home additionally will bring you to the Samsung Download mode.|
Plasma mobile currently works on A5 2015, but you should set custom scaling factor to 2.
kscreen-doctor output.1.scale.2 should work.
To run this command from ssh session add the following env variables to the above command:
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/10000 QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland kscreen-doctor output.1.scale.2
Plasma works smoothly, but there are some graphical glitches sometimes.
|WARNING: The speakers are rather loud on 100% volume and may produce distorted sound that may damage your speakers after long use. Please make sure to use reasonable volumes - your ears and your speaker will thank you!|
Screen works partially. While displaying the UI works fine, adjusting the brightness doesn't work.
rt5033-charger driver is not available, so the charging is not controlled and there is no charging status reporting.
There was a forgotten patch from 2015 on the kernel mailing list. Jakko picked up the work on top of that, and the review started in February 2023 .
rt5033-charger driver issue. It's currently unable to power up a USB device in mainline; in some cases, it may be possible to use OTG with an USB hub that supports an external power supply.
Currently WIP. It can be controlled with SG Micro SGM3140 charge pump LED driver.
Somehow the battery can be charged to 102%.
samsung-a5:~$ cat /sys/class/power_supply/rt5033-battery/uevent POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=rt5033-battery POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=Battery POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=4390000 POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_AVG=4393750 POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_OCV=4395000 POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1 POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=102
Ambient Light/Proximity Sensor
The driver for
tmd3782 ambient light/proximity sensor is not available.
2G and 3G working. 4G not working. Need to got to Setting, Mobile Data, Network Mode and select 2G, 3G (Preferred)
- Samsung Galaxy E5 (samsung-e5)
- Samsung Galaxy A3 2015 (samsung-a3)
- Samsung Galaxy A7 2015 (samsung-a7)
- Device package
- Kernel package
- A review from the polish technology channel "Internet. Czas działać!" - PeerTube link, YouTube link