Samsung Galaxy A5 2015 (samsung-a5)
Samsung Galaxy A5
|Name||Galaxy A5 (2015)|
|Original software||Android 4.4.4|
|Chipset||Qualcomm MSM8916 Snapdragon 410|
|CPU||4x 1.2 Ghz Cortex-A53|
|Display||5 inch 16:9, 720 x 1280 AMOLED|
|Unixbench Whet/Dhry score||912.7|
|This device is based on the Snapdragon 410.|
See the SoC page for common tips, guides and troubleshooting steps
Users owning this device
- Alexeymin (Notes: SM-A500F (not FU) replaced battery, almost like new now)
- ArMor (Notes: SM-A500H Dual Sim)
- Baonks81 (Notes: 3G SM-A500H Dual Sim 2GB/16GB)
- Citrullin (Notes: (4x SM-A500FU available to borrow in Berlin))
- Danct12 (Notes: SM-A500H Dual Sim)
- Debiansh (Notes: Notes: SM-A500FU Running postmarketOS with Phosh, not working display brightness, Camera and USB-OTG. I made a polish review: https://www.internet-czas-dzialac.pl/recenzja-postmarketos/)
- Knuxfanwin8 (Notes: (SM-A500FU))
- Lewis Collard (Notes: A5U (EUR))
- Minecrell (Notes: SM-A500FU, with weird replacement screen :))
- Rich Morin (Notes: compatibility and deployment testing)
- UltrasonicMadness (Notes: SM-A500FU, daily driver)
There are several ways to install postmarketOS on Samsung Galaxy A5 2015. All of them require you to flash lk2nd.
First, install lk2nd:
lk2nd is a secondary bootloader that provides a standard fastboot interface.
- Download lk2nd-msm8916.img from Releases page on Github.
- Boot your phone to bootloader (download) mode by holding and while powering up.
- Follow lk2nd instructions to install lk2nd. Basically flash it to boot partition (
heimdall flash --BOOT lk2nd-msm8916.img)
- Follow Qualcomm_Snapdragon_410/412_(MSM8916)#Installation to install postmarketOS.
|Note: Enter lk2nd fastboot mode by pressing only+ (without ). Pressing additionally will bring you to the Samsung Download mode.|
Plasma mobile currently works on A5 2015, but you should set custom scaling factor to 2.
kscreen-doctor output.1.scale.2 should work.
To run this command from ssh session add the following env variables to the above command:
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/10000 QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland kscreen-doctor output.1.scale.2
Plasma works smoothly, but there are some graphical glitches sometimes.
|WARNING: The speakers are rather loud on 100% volume and may produce distorted sound that may damage your speakers after long use. Please make sure to use reasonable volumes - your ears and your speaker will thank you!|
Screen works partially. While displaying the UI works fine, adjusting the brightness doesn't work.
rt5033-charger driver is not available, so the charging is not controlled and there is no charging status reporting.
There is also a forgotten patch.
rt5033-charger driver issue. It's currently unable to power up a usb device in mainline. Try a hub with external power supply.
Somehow the battery can be charged to 102%.
samsung-a5:~$ cat /sys/class/power_supply/rt5033-battery/uevent POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=rt5033-battery POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=Battery POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=4390000 POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_AVG=4393750 POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_OCV=4395000 POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1 POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=102
Ambient Light/Proximity Sensor
The driver for
tmd3782 ambient light/proximity sensor is not available.
- Device package
- Kernel package
- A review from the polish technology channel "Internet. Czas działać!" - PeerTube link, YouTube link