Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 WiFi (2015) (samsung-gt510wifi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2015) is a series of devices based on Qualcomm_Snapdragon_410/412_(MSM8916) SoC which has great mainline Linux support.
This page should generally apply to any 9.7 inch variant of the device (WiFi, LTE, with and without the pen support). Note that those variants may have different amount of RAM. For 8.0 inch variants see Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_A_8.0_LTE_(2015)_(samsung-gt58lte).
The device has multiple variants, the main differences in the features are shown in the table below:
|GPS||Works||WiFi variant needs investigation. Modem support is not enabled for the WiFi variant at this time.|
|Calls||Unavailable||Partial||See Tips below for call audio.|
- Minecrell (and others from the msm8916-mainline team)
- TravMurav (LTE variant)
- The MSM8916-Mainline team
Users owning this device
How to enter flash mode
Download mode: When turned off hold Power + Volume Up + Home
lk2nd Fastboot: When turned off hold Power + Volume Down
- Install lk2nd (alternative bootloader that provides a standard fastboot interface).
- Follow Qualcomm_Snapdragon_410/412_(MSM8916)#Installation.
Tips And Tricks
- Charger driver is not present at this time, but bootloader seem to enable it if the device was turned on by plugging the cable in. You can check if the device charges by reading the value from
- Phone calls audio on LTE variants may be only available via headphones output at this time.
- Due to a bug (?) in DSI driver, Brightness change DSI commands sent to the panel result in de-sync of the video data and produce some visual artifacts. To remove the artifacts simply turn the display off and on. You may want to make sure that automatic brightness control is disabled.
Mainline Kernel Status
Table of components in the device
|Component||Model||Mainline kernel driver||Status|
|RGB LED||?||?||Doesn't exist in hardware?|
|MicroUSB||-||Yes||Working in kernel fork (Only Peripheral mode)|
|eMMC||(Android lists) Toshiba 400073||Yes||Working in kernel fork|
|Battery/Charging/Fuelgauge||MAX77849||?||Fuel-Gauge works with mainline driver, charger may work unconfigured.|
|Volume/Power/Home keys||GPIO||Yes||Working in kernel fork|
|Capacitive keys||Part of Atmel Touchscreen||No||Needs driver changes|
|Accelerometer||STMicroelectronics K2HH||Yes, supported in kernel fork||Same as matissevewifi, should work without trouble|
|Light Sensor||Capella Micro CM3323||Yes|
|Display||Samsung S6D7AA0 LTL101AT01||No||Working in kernel fork|
|Backlight IC||Texas Instruments lp8558||Not strictly needed||Brightness is set through DSI, PWM signal goes to lp8558 (results in artifacts as DSI commands desync the video data)|
|Audio||PM8916/MAX98357A||Yes||Audio over headset and mic work. Speakers are powered by external amp (MAX98357A or similar).|
|Touch Screen||Atmel MXT 1664T||Yes||Working in kernel fork|
|USB Switch / MUIC||Part of MAX77849||?||?|
|Proximity sensor||Semtech SX9500||Yes||Working in kernel fork, proximity sensor on the front|
|GPU||Adreno 306||Yes||Working in kernel fork|
|Wi-Fi||WNC3660B||Yes||Working in kernel fork, Using the WCN3660B compatible|
|Bluetooth||WCN3660B||Yes||Working in kernel fork, Using the WCN3660B compatible|
|GPS||qcom hexagon modem||In userspace||Part of modem DSP: Can be handled by ModemManager or gpsd. LTE variant should work, WiFi variant need investigation.|
|Front camera||Siliconfile Technologies Inc. SR200PC20||No||Not sure, but there's a datasheet|
|Main camera||Siliconfile Technologies Inc. SR544||No||Old v4l2 patch for unrelated hardware, may be adaptable to current Mainline|
Running some diagnostics programs on Android will likely point out some more info about sensors and any other specifications. At some point I (jja2000) will switch around to Android for a bit to fill in the table. If anyone reading this finds some driver for any of the missing parts let me know on Matrix and if possible edit the table itself.