Samsung Galaxy J3 2016 (samsung-j3xnlte)
Galaxy J3 with postmarketOS and weston
|Name||Galaxy J3 2016|
|Original software||Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop)|
|CPU||4 x 1.5 GHz Cortex-A7|
|Display||720 x 1280 AMOLED|
|USB OTG / USB-C Role switching|
|Note: This page is about Spreadtrum SC9830 variants of Samsung Galaxy J3.|
The Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) (also called Samsung Galaxy J3 6) is an Android smartphone which was developed by Samsung Electronics and was released on January 15, 2016.
- Ster Please contact me on Matrix if you are at any step of the process, either by mentioning my username
@sterrss:matrix.orgor simply message me directly, I'd love to hear any success, failures, difficulties. I'm not necessarily going to be able to help you, since I've still got lots to learn but it'd be nice to chat.
Users owning this device
- Alone-Wolf13785 (Notes: Currently on lineage os but wanna try pmOS)
- Kalube (Notes: x2 Borked)
- Kolja (Notes: I have J320F, I've tried running the J320FN version but it didn't work.)
- LegoLivesMatter (Notes: Current mainline target)
- Little-miss-synth (Notes: runs lineageOS may try postmarketOS on it at some point)
- Nomz (Notes: Often used by my little sister so I can't do much with it)
- Operachi (Notes: Without postmarketos because with other ui postmarketos is not working so i have resurrection remix. I writed "samsung-j3xnlte" for used devices but in real i have samsung-j3xlte without "n")
- Ster (Notes: Ported to postmarketOS)
- TryzenAlpensky (Notes: Both near perfect condition.)
- UltrasonicMadness (Notes: 3×SM-J320FN, 2×SM-J320F - all but one of the FNs have varying degrees of screen burn)
Note that there are different models of the Samsung Galaxy J3. To see which one you have, if you still have the original recovery image on your device, power it off and then hold down the home button, power button and volume up button. See at the top of the phone's screen for the model code. If it's J320FN(string of characters) you're probably good to go. If yours is J320F it will probably be very similar to port.
How to enter flash mode
This is not used for flashing postmarketOS, but is used for flashing recovery partition with TWRP. See pmbootstrap#1834 for details on why I do not recommend flashing postmarketOS with Heimdall.
Hold down home button, power button and volume down button for a number of seconds. Then once a prompt appears on screen, press volume up. You are now in download mode (it will say so on the screen).
Firstly, download TWRP from the XDA developers page. The download is in the section labelled "Attachments".
Use heimdall to flash
recovery.img to the recovery partition of your device:
- Put it in download mode (see above)
- Connect to computer
heimdall detectto see if heimdall can see it.
heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img, making sure you are in the directory with
Now see the installation guide for details. Flashing via heimdall did not work for me, so instead follow the Android Recovery Zip installation guide instructions:
pmbootstrap install --android-recovery-zip
to install to android recovery zip.
Boot your phone into recovery mode: power off and hold down volume up, power and home buttons. You should see the "Team Win" logo. Select "Advanced" then "ADB Sideload". Connect your phone to your PC. Swipe to start the flash. Next run
pmbootstrap flasher --method=adb sideload
on your PC and watch as the postmarketOS ascii appears. Select reboot, and your display and touchscreen should work out of the box.
|Information in this section may be outdated.|
Disconnect the cable when you turn the device off. The device freezes on the charging splash screen if it's not disconnected.
|Hardware type||Chip||Mainline status||Notes|
|WiFi chip||Spreadtrum SC2331||N|
|Charging IC||Silicon Mitus SM5701||N|
|Fuel gauge||Spreadtrum SC27x3||P||SC27xx driver present, maybe it can be used|
|NFC||NXP PN547||P||PN544 driver present|
|Proximity sensor||Capella Microsystems CM36672P||N|
|Accelerometer||Bosch BMA2xx||P||BMA220 driver present|
|Touchscreen||Imagis Technology IST3038C||Y||IST3038C driver present|
|MUIC||Silicon Mitus SM5504||Y||Fully supported|
|Y||Mainline driver present|
|P||Mainline driver for (possibly) similar IC present|
|N||Mainline driver not present at all|
SoC uses a custom hardware timer, which has to be ported before mainline can be booted.
- Device package
- Kernel package
- pmaports!653 Initial merge request
- Unofficial LineageOS port on XDA Developers
- Unofficial TWRP 3.6.2-9.0 port on XDA Developers
- Kernel source code
- Full device specs
- pmbootstrap#1834 is the reason flashing is set as partial.
- Someone's attempt to port Halium to samsung-j3xlte