Galaxy J3 with postmarketOS and weston
|Galaxy J3 2016
|4 x 1.5 GHz Cortex-A7
|720 x 1280 AMOLED
|Note: This page is about Spreadtrum SC9830 variants of Samsung Galaxy J3.
The Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) (also called Samsung Galaxy J3 6) is an Android smartphone which was developed by Samsung Electronics and was released on January 15, 2016.
- Ster Please contact me on Matrix if you are at any step of the process, either by mentioning my username
@sterrss:matrix.orgor simply message me directly, I'd love to hear any success, failures, difficulties. I'm not necessarily going to be able to help you, since I've still got lots to learn but it'd be nice to chat.
Users owning this device
- Alone-Wolf13785 (Notes: Currently on lineage os but wanna try pmOS)
- Kalube (Notes: x2 Borked)
- Kolja (Notes: I have J320F, I've tried running the J320FN version but it didn't work.)
- LegoLivesMatter (Notes: Running LineageOS 14.1)
- Little-miss-synth (Notes: runs lineageOS may try postmarketOS on it at some point)
- Mtek89 (Notes: Stock Android, broken screen, mother's phone)
- Nomz (Notes: Often used by my little sister so I can't do much with it)
- Operachi (Notes: With custom rom android 7)
- Ptesarik (Notes: free to develop)
- Shipa (Notes: doesn't load any DE)
- Speedyes (Notes: SM-J320F, LineageOS, not using it for now)
- Ster (Notes: Ported to postmarketOS)
- UltrasonicMadness (Notes: 3×SM-J320FN, 2×SM-J320F - all but one of the FNs have varying degrees of screen burn)
- W4trmelon (Notes: working !)
Note that there are different models of the Samsung Galaxy J3. To see which one you have, if you still have the original recovery image on your device, power it off and then hold down the home button, power button and volume up button. See at the top of the phone's screen for the model code. If it's J320FN(string of characters) you're probably good to go. If yours is J320F it will probably be very similar to port.
Alternatively, simply remove the back cover and battery. The sticker underneath should read: MODEL: SM-J320FN.
How to enter flash mode
Hold down home button, power button and volume down button for a number of seconds. Then once a prompt appears on screen, press volume up. You are now in download mode (it will say so on the screen).
Firstly, download TWRP from the XDA developers page. The download is in the section labelled "Attachments".
Use heimdall to flash
recovery.img to the recovery partition of your device:
- Put it in download mode (see above)
- Connect to computer
heimdall detectto see if heimdall can see it.
heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img, making sure you are in the directory with
|Information in this section may be outdated.
Disconnect the cable when you turn the device off. The device freezes on the charging splash screen if it's not disconnected.
|Silicon Mitus SM5701
|SC27xx driver present, maybe it can be used
|PN544 driver present
|Capella Microsystems CM36672P
|BMA220 driver present
|Imagis Technology IST3038C
|IST3038C driver present
|Silicon Mitus SM5504
|Mainline driver present
|Mainline driver for (possibly) similar IC present
|Mainline driver not present at all
SoC uses a custom hardware timer, which has to be ported before mainline can be booted.