Motorola Moto G6 (motorola-ali)
Moto G6 with Mate desktop
|Original software||Android 8.0|
|Chipset||Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 (MSM8953)|
|CPU||8x 1.8 GHz Cortex-A53|
|USB OTG / USB-C Role switching|
|This device is based on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 (MSM8953).|
See the SoC page for common tips, guides and troubleshooting steps
Users owning this device
- Bhashithe (Notes: 3GB/32GB)
- FieryFlames (Notes: 3GB/32GB Google Fi variant)
- Foldmorepaper (Notes: 3GB/32GB)
- Michael Mc Donnell (Notes: 3GB/32GB Google Fi variant)
- Uclydde (Notes: 3GB/32GB, PVT2 variant)
- Xproot (Notes: (3GB/32GB) Unofficial Battery - Main)
How to enter flash mode
- Power + Volume Down buttons or use TWRP reboot bootloader, or
adb reboot bootloader
|Working user interfaces (on the downstream kernel): Mate, Gnome, XFCE4, i3wm, sxmo|
- Enter fastboot mode.
pmbootstrap flasher flash_rootfs
pmbootstrap flasher boot
Lk2nd has been ported, and can be found here: lk2nd
As of 11/21/2021, a device tree, panel driver, and kernel configuration have been added to the msm8953 mainline kernel fork, and patches have been submitted to upstream Linux to add initial support.
NOTE: only the PVT2 variant has been tested, so the upstream patch only adds support for that specific model.
32bit or 64bit
For whatever reason, Motorola decided to ship a 32bit build of Android with the Moto G6, despite the SoC (sdm450/msm8953) being 64bit. For this reason, the postmarketOS build that was originally created is 32bit. The device fails to boot a 64bit build of postmarketOS using the downstream kernel, though it may be possible with some additional modifications.
A 64bit build using a close-to-mainline fork of the Linux kernel works.
- pmaports!1071 Initial merge request
- pmaports!1281 Update to arm64, update gcc, remove unused patches
- pmaports!1956 Revert arch to armv7
- pmaports!3569 Use mainline kernel fork and add firmware support
- Add support for Moto G6 to msm8953-mainlining/linux
- Add initial Moto G6 device tree to upstream Linux
- pmaports#1494 Motorola Moto G6 doesn't boot to graphics
- pmaports#1516 motorola-ali: How to use mainline?
- Device package
- Kernel package